Friday, June 4, 2010

Butterfly Zoodie Part II - The Metamorphosis

so....i listened to you guys! and after starting at the yellow one for a while it began to look like a hot mess.

then...bryan came home...of course he wants the most elaborate butterfly ever seen on the back of a sweatshirt so several modifications had to take place...i think at one point he actually mentioned attaching sticks and fishing wire to move the wings...so i think this one turned out a good compromise.










But really, he needs to get the credit - he drew the wing pattern and the body pattern. and he helped cut out the decorations for the wing. he designed it too over the course of a couple of days...on a sketchbook...oh how i love this man...we work so differently its so wonderful....i'm like..."whats a pattern?" "what do you need to draw it out for?"












my only problem with it, besides the fact that it is a little intense...is that i just dont know how the wings will hold up in the wash...or with everyday wear...

bryan doesnt seem to mind any of that...of course....

but as a mom who does loads of laundry all the time, this is not something i would want to maybe deal with. maybe its not that big a deal since its a sweatshirt and you dont wash them too often, but still.

i am going to design one where the wings are stitched on in the back....in felt...so that it is less intense...but still obviously a butterfly.

so there you go friends! what do you think? you helped this "metamorphosis" happen - i thank you sincerely for all your comments - they were such a help! i dont believe it is quite done, but i am severely more happy with this one than the first!

now onto the bat...hopefully his black sweatshirt is coming today...and i think i found the perfect wing fabric...and there may be a felt mask to accompany it as well...at least for my little bat-boy...

6 comments:

Julia said...

Okay, I have no children and no idea how to sew, but here is my thought. What about a big, strong strip of velcro down the back so the wings could come off before washing? Just a thought...

CarleeKajsa said...

i thought about that too - and i think its a good idea...but as a mom...clothing with parts/pieces sounds annoying...i can barely find their shoes in the morning....

Whitney Hannah Hill said...

Hmm - I don't have any ideas or thoughts about waashing, etc. But as far as design goes, I like this one a lot!! It's exactly what I pictured in my mind. Which sounds really arrogant. I mean...I don't just like it because it looks how I wanted. ;) Anyway - I hope it's okay that I am stretching you on this - and didn't just pick one for my niece that you had already done. Yeah, I SO want to go to Patchwork, but I don't think I can make it - Silas' birthday is tomorrow - and we are celebrating with a picnic after church.

Paige said...

I love the body in front! Great change.

I hope you still do the bat wings like the yellow butterfly though. That would be awesome.

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

This is super cute! But...would it be a problem with getting strapped into a car seat? I dunno. But I LOVE your idea about the bat zoodie with a mask. Brilliant. You could do a raccoon also! OH YEAH!

Punky said...

You're gonna have the mask connect with the hood! So they can just pull it on over their face?! That would be so rad!