Friday, December 18, 2009

it too shall pass...

funny how that phrase has brought me so much comfort over the years (during particularly long crying for who knows what sessions, multiple wakings through the eve, teething, potty-training, saying "nononono" over and over) but now i am just suspended in a state of anxiety over it...


yesterday Bodie swallowed something...we dont know what...he was in our bathroom and bryan was brushing bryson's hair (for like the first time in oh a year or so) when he noticed bodie choking and tried to sweep, but it was gone...we tried to heimlich and slap his back, but it was too far down...he struggled for about 3 minutes to get it down...after it got down he seemed okay...we waited and watched and he seemed fine and drank fine and was playing...he started acting a little fussy a little while longer so we brought him in to urgent care...they did an x-ray but couldnt see anything....so here we are...waiting...for whatever it is to pass...

i had just watched that TLC show this summer, "Your kid ate what?" and felt strangly calmed by it...there was that girl who ate like 50 pellets of rat poison and survived and kids that ate toy trucks and magnets and batteries...my sister (the PA) says that a battery is like the worst thing a kid can swallow for the fear that the stomach acid breaks down the battery to leak acid...which has caused me to treat them like deadly weapons...and when bryson's battery-operated toys run out i promptly throw the batteries away and dont replace like a grinch! anyway - although both of my boys have had numerous dangerous objects in their mouths i have usually been successful in getting them out, so here i am waiting...waiting...wondering...what the hek could be in his sweet little belly???

i am hoping this will pass...and soon...no bowel movement today and i plan on feeding the poor guy prunes and fibrous things all day...any suggestions on how to get a baby to pass a foreign object is welcomed!

4 comments:

Paige said...

No suggestions other than... is there a way to induce diarrhea? Maybe suppositories?

One of Hank's buddies swallowed a big paper clip this week, and passed it in two days. He is totally fine, nothing but some mild discomfort. But he has an awesome x-ray.

Hopefully it will pass quickly!

Kaci Lundgren said...

I got a penny in a diaper once--I was glad that I didn't know he had swallowed it so I didn't have to worry.

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

sprinkle wheat germ on everything he eats!!! : )

Angie Rebennack - the Outfit said...

...okay it's been a few days- ever find what he swallowed??