Thursday, October 16, 2008

Baby Olive Sevilla Marcus


I called Jessi yesterday because she was on my mind and i knew her due date was around the corner so i wanted to check in with her to see how her last days were going. she answered and told me she was in labor and had to go because her midwife was paging her...i laughed at her and told her to go get that baby out...and she did. Olive Sevilla Marcus was born yesterday and i wanted to include the labor/delivery story that her husband Todd wrote - he is such a great writer and i was peeing my pants laughing envisioning the scenario...for those of you that know - and those who don't - her second child - Lincoln was born in the hospital parking lot...after only a 45 minute labor...here is what Todd wrote:


Big news for our small world

Whether by great design or luck we have been ordained the right to dramatic flare or exaggerated story telling. Our third child entered the World last night in a fashion that contains both rights.

Before there was three, we rewind Lincoln’s birth in our car just short of the Hospital doors over and over again making sure we were both prepared & informed about what birth story we be telling with our little girl. We both agreed that we wanted to make it to the hospital first and let the rest of the details fall into place.

With a due date over a week away and two boys born on their actual due dates a business trip to Joplin seemed reasonable. A call mid-sentence led to my gut wrenching realization that in thirty minutes we should expect our newest member if our brief birthing history was to repeat itself. Being 2.5 hours away led to immediate depression. In very calculated drama I drove too fast and received updates from family members who took over in my absence (Chris & Katie Stewart & Mary). Calls came in as infrequent and irregular as the contractions, but all signs pointed towards another quick birth.

I pressed on scouring byways and overpasses for the best obstacle to my chance at making a timely appearance. Jessi’s quick contractions subsided when she dipped into the hot tub willing baby and body to hold out for “Dad”. In that news a moment of hope turned into longer minutes and I then knew they would wait for me. I have to say that dramatic car rides involving birthdays are simple not as exciting as they sound. I would trade a “normal” birth anytime compared to the drama I have endured behind the wheel.

Finally the right stop lights arrived and with it the towering hospital where I knew Jessi was being well cared for and surrounded by people who love her. That much was taken care of thank goodness. What was thought to be another drive-by birth turned out to be a few hours and allowed Jessi’s entourage a sigh or relief & exaltation of praise when I finally made it, with still no baby.

Continued waiting and unpredictable contractions led to hand held water breaking maneuvers and within minutes our baby started moving Earthward. Thrilled that I could actually be in the moment and contrary to my initial reaction hours earlier I was excited for the formal introduction filled with intrigue & wonder. I placed my dutiful self next to Jessi along with Katie (sister), nurse (opposite side of bed and quite small) and midwife (thrilled she got to watch the presidential debate between contractions). In the standard movie depicted position for most of the proceedings the midwife (Sheila and gratefully undisclosed political agenda) suggested moving to her side for the next and what would be the final position.

I only go into great detail here for what happens next & its worthiness of such attention. When one turns to the side that leaves a free hand and arm to reach and grab anything within striking distance. Naturally I was the side she turned to and I was pulled in closer and closer while an intense contraction ensued. One clenched hand reached around my neck and turned into a headlock that would make the wrestling federation proud. I was in the best headlock to date provided by my wife giving birth to our daughter. I though it insensitive to mention how much it hurt in light of what was happening and equally inappropriate to displace the arm that was groping for any kind of respite. As I stand half-bent over the bedrail in the neck throbbing position of servitude, the midwife notes the baby is about to emerge and inquires if I would like to catch the baby. “Of course” I thought but all I could manage to state was the obvious predicament “I can’t, I’m in a nasty headlock”. Shortly thereafter I managed to rotate my head within the headlock and see our baby make the triumphant entry. Once Jessi’s arms and grip relented I joined the processional of hosts in ushering the little girl in her first breaths, cries, tears, etc.

Jessi’s mom (Ramona or Noni to those 12 and under) was able to sneak in the final moments and provide an extra cheering squad with supportive proclamations. All in all it was special. For the better part of 14 hours after the birth we still could not find a name that completely fit our gift. We considered playing musical names (a variation of musical chairs where I would read off the names on our list during the deliver and the name stated just as the baby emerged would be the victor) but in the end we loved our sweet little….Olive Sevilla Marcus.

She weighed 6 lbs. 13 ounces and measured in at 19 ½ inches tall. She has extremely long digits, hardly any bumps and bruises associated with the trauma, and although they often look otherworldly upon exit, she is our perfect little Olive.

Jessi and Olive are home now (less than 24 hours from when they arrived together) in united health and wellness. The boys can’t stop talking to her, playing with her (more like around her at this point), overstating the obvious about her features and just beaming with excitement about their new playmate and little baby.

Emails & phone calls are always welcomed and our response time will be commensurate with the amount of sleep we get. So grace provided will be grace appreciated.

Until we hear from you or you from us

Todd, Jessi, Wells, Lincoln & Olive

No comments: