Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Belly Binding

after Bodie's birth i remember feeling like i needed to be held together. i felt very loose...not sure if this was a second child thing, but it was very strong. my midwife told me that in Mexico they bind the new mother for a week or so using cloth after she has the baby in efforts to bring the body back together and i remember thinking that sounded amazing.

(i have since searched around and not only in Mexico, but parts of Asia and in Indonesia also do a form of belly binding - read about it here)

i have been talking with more moms about this phenom and one mom pointed me toward Belly Bandits. These sound awesome and my chiropractor said she thought it would be a good idea because it focuses on the abdominal muscles as opposed to the hips (which she wouldn't recommend binding).

The thing about them...they are kinda pricey - from $45 - $70 or so...but i would be totally willing to try them! have you heard/used them before? thoughts?

(I also found this blog post, which has been very helpful also!)

2 comments:

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Lisa used those or something similar. Shoot her a message on FB and ask her thoughts! I'm pretty sure she never wanted to be without them!

Whitney Hannah Hill said...

I read about them some and Belly Bandit sent me one to review on i know a mom - I tried it and it wasn't very comfortable - duh - don't think it is intended to be. I don't do things for long if they aren't comfortable. ;)

I'll have to look around to see if I can find mine - if I didn't give it away already, I'll give it to you.