Monday, February 4, 2013

2012 Book Review


I did this last year and thought it would be fun to go back and look at some of the books I read this past year - I was so shocked that I read as much as I did...I swear - its because of the Nook...I know there are some of you "purists" out there who still are anti-e-readers...but man - the convenience of buying a book from my couch...of being able to read the #2 book in a series the next day...its awesome! Here are some of my favorites - and the list of the books read and the order and my complicated rating system and coding system :) I really tried to make an effort last year to mix things up with non-fictions. I had wanted to read a biography or auto-biography and didn't get around to it, but want to continue having a good balance between "just for fun" books and more "mature" books...so please comment away if you have any good recommendations!



**                     1. Keep by Jennifer Egan - F
****                 2. Sleepwalk with Me by Mike Birbiglia - NSS
*****               3. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling - NSS
****                 4. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt - F
***                   5. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - YA
**                     6. Uglies by Rodrigo Corral - YA
*****               7. The Name of the Wind (Book #1 Kingkiller Chronicles) by Patrick Rothfuss - FAN
*****               8. The Wise Man's Fear (Book #2 Kingkiller Chronicles) by Patrick Rothfuss - FAN
**                     9. For Better or For Work by Meg Hirshberg - SH
**                     10. Love Does by Bob Goff - NSS
***                   11. Wildwood by Carson Ellis - YA
****                 12. My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares - F
***                   13. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - F
****                 14. Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler - YA
****                 15. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen - C
***                   16. Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare - C
****                 17. Chime by Franny Billingsley - YA

* = why did i even finish it?
** = would not recommend, even to someone I didnt like.
*** = okay - still would not recommend
**** = a fun read and want you to read it too!
***** = probably finished it in 2 days and ignored my kids because it was so good

F = Fiction
NSS = Non-Fiction Short Stories
YA = Young Adult
FAN = Fantasy
SH = Self Help/Informative
C = Classic

Currently Reading: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (LOVING it so far!)

No comments: