Sunday, May 25, 2008

Spirit Babies

i am currently reading, "Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife" and a story in there really touched my heart and i felt compelled to share:

(the author had just suffered through a miscarriage and her 12 year old son sees her crying at the kitchen table)

Colin asked, "Are you crying about the baby?" and when i nodded tearfully, he said, "Well you just have to have another one, Mom, because it's a Spirit Baby, and you should be its mother."

I must have looked puzzled because he said, "Don't you know about Spirit Babies? How could i know about them if you don't? I mean, you're my mom!" But he could see my perplexity.

So my first child, this not-yet-teenaged boy, pulled a woodedn chair to my side and draped his thin arm across my shoulders saying, "Well, Mom, here's how it is. See, I was one myself, so that must be how I know. Anyway, every woman has a circle of babies that goes around and around above her head, and those are all the possible babies she could have in her whole life. Every month one of those babies is first in line. If she gets pregnant, then that's the baby that's born. If she doesn't get pregnant but something bad happens before the baby's born...now listen, Mom, because here's the really cool part. It goes back into the circle, but it becomes a Spirit Baby, and all the other babies give it cuts. Each month, it's always first in line. Isn't that great?"

"So you just have to get pregnant again, and you'll have the same Spirit Baby. If you don't, though, then the baby circle will just beam that little Spirit Baby over to some other women's circle, and it'll be first in line for her. It keeps being first in line somewhere until it gets born."

"But it'd be a shame for you not to have it yourself, because I know how much you want it. So you just have to try again. Mom, remember that baby you lost before I was born?" I nodded wordlessly. "Well that was me. Really. I've always known Is was a Spirit Baby. I mean, I know what I'm talking about here, Mom."



That story brought tears to my eyes and lifted my heart and I hope it touches someone else out there as well.
My prayers go out to all the Spirit Babies and the moms who have yet to have their Spirit Baby.

No comments: